Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Life, The Temple of Heaven

:) Now that I'm nearly finished telling you about July, I can tell you all about August... but not really. Because I've only got a week left and I'm sooo busy. Work has really picked up; I like this.
Once I get a little more sleep in me I'll try to say something summary about my week-long trip. For now I'm going to tell you about going to the Temple of Heaven in Beijing. First I got drawn into the wonderful shopping experience that is Wangfujin. Unfortunately the other Rich Westerners have started to find the place as they arrive for the Olympics, but knowing Chinese is still a plus when it comes to bargaining, as is being a student.
The weather was amazing and people were out enjoying it at the Temple of Heaven. Following a bit of prodding from the woman next to me, I danced too.
See how busy I am? I have no time to rotate this picture for you.
Of all the kids who've had their picture taken with me this summer, this one was the cutest. In case you're interested, second place goes to one of the two girl at the top of the JinMao tower in Shanghai. Also, this area was great. Wandering about, I came upon a group with folding stands making music together. I got there by taking an imperial shortcut that was invented for a 66-year-old emperor.
I suppose this picture is important to include as well. The emperor used to come to this place twice a year to communicate with the gods and make sure good crops were in order. If he wasn't good at this people got kindof annoyed. This is the central temple part, and there are all sorts of other halls around; the music hall, the echo wall, the sacrificing building, etc etc.
The weather today was lovely as well, by the way. And I finally got my Beijing Kaoya. And now I'm going to wrap things up at the office and go rest a bit.

No comments: